Thursday, May 04, 2006

Dome Logic Displays

For my birthday this year, my dad is buying the Front Logic Display run. It is a Do-It-Yourself kit, a pair of 5x8 front logic display units (top and bottom.) This was seen on the front of R2's dome . . . random patterns in blue and white (shown here as the blue lights).



It was available as a D.I.Y. kit or as a fully assembled unit, but I was assured that if I can solder, I can put this together.


The kits include everything needed, including PCBs (Printed Circuit Board), blue and white LEDs, and other assorted components. They also include a pair of Damien's laser cut LED bezels, although I have a set of laser cut plastic bezels from Paul Bussiere already, shown here:


Each unit displays a random pattern and will display a custom text message (A-Z 0-9 and space) when triggered. You can change the speed of the random effect and change the message with a PC via a serial signal. Units are shipped with the message you ask for or "R2D2 BUILDERS CLUB". You can see the message by briefly touching the brown wire to ground.

Here are the layouts I chose for the Top and Bottom Front Logic Displays of my R2 unit:





These displays were designed by R2 builder Club founder Dave Everett. Mine will be mounted in the Aluminum Logic Display Surrounds from Wayne Orr. The small front displays (left) and the larger rear displays (right) are shown here ready to ship.




The rear display will be a seperate PCB and LED project, this one is just for the front. It will look something like this when it is done:

My Aluminum Logic Surrounds arrived from Wayne Orr!
Thay are fantastic, and will give the dome a really nice finished look instead of having to use the resin ones I have. Thanks Wayne!




9-26-08
It's been awhile since I have updated this blog, but here are some pictures of the Front Logic kit pieces and the assembly:


















2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hi, I'm building my R2, and I would like to know wher I can buy the Logic display kit.

11:07 AM  
Blogger Shadow Walker said...

Go to the site www.astromech.net and check there. It was a custom kit designed within the club for the club.

11:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home